Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Is Aliya the only way? Part II

Note: In order to fully "get" this post you must read this one first.

Now that you have seen it you have read about my distaste for Oleh Self Righteousness Syndrome, and its product-- guilt.

It is abundantly clear that not everyone is chayav to move to Israel. There are innumerable factors that must be weighed before making the decision to go, and those that do not weigh them do an enormous disservice to themselves and their families.

However, this has a flip side too.

The problem is that most people never reach this first step of even considering whether to move. Despite whatever lip service they might pay, most American Jews-- orthodox Jews-- view Eretz Yisrael as a cross between a nice tourist destination and fodder for interesting debate at the Shabbos table.

I am not pulling a J. Kerry here. I still believe every word of what I wrote a few days ago. America is not a warehouse of evil, and nobody should feel guilty about living in the States. But Israel is where Jews belong. How can it be that for so many Jews Israel is not an option?

There are many factors that have caused the current state of affairs, but I think that the core issue at hand is a lack of understanding, and perhaps a lack of belief.

A core theme in the sifrei chassidus is that if Hashem's presence was with us at all times we would be unable to stray from His derech. It is only because His presence is not felt at all times that we act the way we do. We can rectify this situation by striving to achieve a truer understanding of Him, and how He impacts every second of our existence.

I would like to connect this to the matter at hand. There are many Jews who feel that Israel is important and they do many good things for it congruent with where they stand politically. Some donate, some volunteer, some learn etc. But the importance of the land is to so many people skin deep. People who live here will tell you that this place penetrates the soul like nothing else can. Israel is not just a place, and when you get that understanding it does not leave you-- and not considering aliya becomes inconceivable.

Israel is not a blue and white cupcake.

I guess what I am trying to say is that I cannot condemn those who don't consider moving. I think it is unfortunate and I think that parents and schools have failed miserably in teaching its importance, but I do understand where this failure stems from. A true love of Israel-- the type that makes one consider moving here-- is something you either do have or you don't.

P.S. I know I sound self- righteous. Never said I wasn't a hypocrite.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your important message is quite clear.

Not seeing any hypocrisy or self-righteousness from here.

Anonymous said...

ztaddik, i dont know how to tell u this, but it is not abundantly clear that not every1 is chayyiv to make aliyah. It was certainly R' Moshe feinsteins and the Rav's view, but not every1 agrees. the practice of people living outside of Israel is obviously like those 2 opinions, but not every1 agrees.(this is from some1 who l'avotainu ha'rabim lives not within any of land that even the most lenient opinions would consider eretz yisroel). Brad

Anonymous said...

let me modify that statement and say that there are certain heterim that the gemara gives(i.e. extreme poverty and marriage and learning torah) but i think whats under discussion here is any1 who would not fall under those categories.Brad

OOS said...

Tnspr:
Thanks for the backing.

Brad:
You don't quote who it is that does not agree with the two Poskim you mention so I am not sure how to respond.
I said in my earlier post that this is a halachic topic. Personal questions should be adressed to a competant posek.

My points were more general: 1. Many Jews live in the States and have a legitimate heter for doing so. 2. If so, it is incmbent on Olim not to make them feel guilty.

As you mention in your second comment the gemarah clearly states that not all Jews are chayav to live in Israel. If so, I am not sure where we are arguing.

Anonymous said...

Sorry i havent had a chance to repost. It's true we might not be arguing but I guess we'd have to give specific cases b4 i could say we agree. But here's a liink to a great shiur by R'schachter shlit"a where he discusses this topic, and at least the avnei nezer seems to assume that any1 who can do something productive in eretz yisroel would be required to move. Unless I misunderstood something.Brad http://torahweb.org/video/rsch_031107.html