Tuesday, April 17, 2007

A weird place

I am always struck by the absurdities of this strange place that seem to fly right over the average Israeli's head. I am sure that if I sat and thought I would be able to come up with a list of over one hundred odd things that go on in this wacky place, which the average Joe misses because it is so, well... normal.

For now let's settle for one such topic: Motor scooters. Yes, these contraptions are everywhere in Yerushalayim- which makes sense considering the abundance of simtaot (alleyways), one way streets, and roads leading to nowhere that are a staple of Jerusalem life, and which can only be navigated by these nifty machines.

That is not what's funny. What makes me laugh is that one can find every type of person riding. Young or old, chiloni or charedi, male or female, it does not matter. Everyone and their grandmother rides them-- and I use that phrase very literally. Grandmothers do ride motorbikes here in Israel.

The first time I saw this phenomenon I was stunned. Walking down Rechov Yaffo I see a woman dressed in the usual motor biking attire: leather biking jacket, leather pants, a helmet painted in wildly clashing colors. She pulls off the helmet and... Is that you Bubbe?!? Well, not mine but surely someone's . I look around to snicker with my fellow pedestrians who must also be astounded by this absurd sight, but no, everyone else seems to think that it is perfectly normal.

Experience would tell me that it was normal. And I too have learned to keep a straight face.

But inside I am still smiling.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rebba, it's mamesh the way to travel...I highly recommend. If I had stayed in America I would have definitely missed out on this thrill...bchinas Naftali, the quickest way between where you are and where you want to be...Do you have any doubt that Mashiach Ben Dovid, the ultimate taking us to where we want to be, will be arriving on anything other than a scooter? (Sorry I missed you guys on Shushan Purim. Just saw AY's pictures yesterday. Gevalt...)