Sunday, April 22, 2007

Is Aliya the only way?

A little while ago my dad posted about the difficulty of making aliya with teenagers. Someone named Gabi responded with this. An I added my two cents:

Careful Gabi, you seem to be suffering from an acute case of Oleh- Self- Righteousness Syndrome. To begin with I would ask you why there is a need for an organization like this or this... (ayen sham for
the rest)
I feel I must elaborate-- not only regarding the notion of moving with teenagers (which, by the way, I recently heard from a member of the NBN social services department is being unofficially discouraged by her organization), but the concept of Aliya.

Allow me to be more specific. The real question that I would like to deal with is this: Is Aliya for every Jew?

Truthfully, for me to address the issue is somewhat disingenuous. It is a halachic question and, as anyone who has read this blog can likely tell, I am very much unqualified. However, as a recent oleh I believe that I do have insight into this topic that I would like to share.

Let me start by saying this. Aliya is great, and many, perhaps most olim make it work. Making Aliya has changed my life for the better in more ways than I can articulate and I am grateful to the Ribbono Shel Olam for placing me in the position to make it happen. The timeless words of the Kuzari seem appropriate here.
It is not difficult to accept the assumption that one land is set aside from all other lands. Do you not see with your own eyes that a place is better than all other places for a specific plant, a specific mineral, and a specific animal... The Chosen People are not able to cleave to the Godly matter in any land but this one. (Kuzari, B: 10- 12) (My own very poor translation)

Jews belong here. The Land of Israel is where we thrive. As my friend Hooie (once again name changed to protect the innocent (actually this time it really is changed. Oh well.)) succinctly put it, "Israel is a really, really great place."

That being said I think it is preposterous to posit that every Jew must make aliya, or even that every Jew should make aliya. Moving here is hard, and it is not for everyone. My wife and I did it by the book-- we moved while we were young, arranged our schooling around the assumption of moving, etc., etc. etc. It has still been difficult in ways we could not have anticipated (more on that later).

To most people the notion that aliya should be a cautious decision is not a chidush. But there is something that I detect in the voices of Americans who wish to make Aliya that distresses me because I am fairly certain of what its source is. That something is guilt, and its source is us- and by us I mean olim.

During the few times when I dragged my lazy, anti- social behind out of Yeshiva for Shabbos, I had the pleasure of staying at the houses of various olim, new and old. What I remember most about these visits was returning to Yeshiva feeling guilty. Guilty that I was still an American, and that somehow, without a teudat zehut I was living a meaningless life. This was not my experience with the most of the olim I stayed by, mind you-- but too many.

Guilt should not be a factor in aliya, and those who don't make it should not feel guilty. Yet, the self- righteousness of so many olim is enough to make one sick.

Let's make two things clear, despite the fact that they are not points that should need clarification.

1. It is entirely possible to live a meaningful life outside the Land of Israel.
2. It is entirely possible to waste one's life inside the Land of Israel.

Making aliya is not a free pass, nor is staying in the States a death sentence.

Reasonable people act reasonably when making big decisions. One would be hard pressed to find a much bigger decision than whether or not to make aliya. To ask people to turn off their intellect and make rash decisions regarding aliya, is to me, unconscionable.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. It's about time this was discussed. Kol hakavod!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your thoughtful post. We've been here for almost five years and have told several friends with older children to reconsider.

I love Israel, but children are very sensitive to change.

The Anchorite said...

Great post. The decision to make Aliyah has to be made out of a desire to live in EY, not through guilt, or to escape the materialism, drugs, scandals etc. Too many Olim feel that going through the hardships of Aliyah gives them a moral high horse to berate anyone and everyone else who are not booked on the next flight from JFK.

And as was said before, the most important part of making aliyah, is that EVRYONE in the family want to do it, and are excited about it.

Ah, but those who do make aliyah, and are able to make it in Israel, well its an amazing thing, there is so much good in EY for those who look for it - and that should be the only reason people make aliyah.
Ashrecha OOS (well, someones older son) enjoy your Yishuv Haaretz, Chag Sameach!
Quick personal note-
You Know You Are In Golus When:
you go to davening on Yom Haatzmaut, and they say slichos (beha"b) instead of hallel.

Ariel said...

Z-
A friend sent me this site. I've enjoyed reading your back-posts.

A couple of points, we'll start with where you're right:
There are a LOT of people here who love the fact that they've made aliyah, and they feel like they have accomplished something the equivalent of which no one else could possibly dream of accomplishing (unless of course they make aliyah themselves- in which case they'd take some sort of credt for having brought you over here). Yael and I have tried to keep in mind that this move was only the beginning. The real dream, and the real accomplishment comes with fulfilling dreams and accomplishing things here in this wonderful land.

As to where I don't agree with you completely:

1) It is not possible to waste your life in the land of Israel. That one isn't even mine, it's Rav Kook. In a lot of places in his books that are in very hard Hebrew. Give me a few years, and maybe I'll point to a more exact place.

2) "preposterous" to think that every Jew should make aliyah? I know those Kumah guys are crazy, but it's too strong a word.

3)I understand what you're saying regarding emotions and intellect. However, I think you're missing the bigger picture. Can you imagine what would be if the olim from the yishuv would have decided not to do such crazy things as try to drain swamps? I'm assuming that you and your whole family (not you and your whole family, c"v) dying of malaria is a lot worse than a child having a hard time in school or even going off the derekh completely (although there might be those who would disagree with me).
Yet if it wasn't for them, Israel as we know it wouldn't exist. It would be a wasteland. You wouldn't be here, I wouldn't be here, and it would not play the central role it does in our lives, and in those of the entire Jewish world.
Yes, those people were crazy, and I probably would have laughed at them if I was around at the time (kinda like the people who went out to Chomesh today) but in the end- they were right. And they were needed. And I think that their sacrifice was not in vain.
Does this mean that the fact that you made aliyah will resonate for generations to come, and that your sacrifice, and even that of those who've had it harder will one day redeem itself and prove to have been an "even mo'asu habonim hayta l'rosh pina"? Of course I can't say for sure, but I'm really leaning towards yes.

I'm sorry if I bored you. I don't have a forum like this. We just put pictures of my kid on our blog.

Oh, and to The Anchorite, if you said selichot for behab this year, you definitely know you're in Chutz La'aretz. Our Yom Ha'atzmaut was on Tuesday.

At the end of the day, it seems like an influx of young, normal (politically and religiously) olim is something that this country could really use. I'm glad that in my (admittedly biased) view, we've started that.
And there are more on the way...

All the best,
Ariel

ps we'd would really love to get together over shabbat. we'll be in touch...